Thứ Năm, 31 tháng 5, 2018

Waching daily May 31 2018

Hey, I'm Hamish and this is Writing on Games.

Detroit started off life as a literal tech demo; a seven-minute short film written by

David Cage in which we see an early version of one of our protagonists, Kara, waking up

as she's being assembled, taking orders from a faceless voice that she nevertheless

quickly establishes a rapport with.

As she reads off a humorous declaration of her servitude and her limbs are attached,

she becomes subtly but visibly excited at the prospect of being alive, only for the

discussion with her friend to turn to shock as she's immediately disassembled for showing

emotion.

And it's only when she reveals that she's scared of dying after the wave of euphoria

she's just felt, that the voice grants her mercy.

It's a perfectly contained, dare I say well-written story.

It uses its visuals in a compelling way, gradually revealing more of Kara's perspective as

she develops and contrasting her natural whimsy with the sterile brutality she awakes to.

It's funny, it's sad, it's hopeful, it's an interesting way to present the human/android

question; something that over time has become such a trite sci-fi trope.

And most importantly, it doesn't waste time on elaborating what the situation is.

She's awake, she shows emotion, boom – she's gone.

It gets in and out in seven minutes.

It's neat.

According to Cage, it was the surprisingly positive response to this self-contained story

that inspired him to expand it into the world of Become Human.

And in doing so, he seemingly ignores almost everything that made that short what it was.

The subtle visuals and dialogue suddenly become the most heavy-handed imagery you could possibly

imagine.

The conciseness of its scenario turns into meandering through nothing-y situations, stretching

out every action into its most basic mechanical minutiae, showing a fundamental misunderstanding

of how games can tell their stories; all in service of delivering a message on the humanity

of androids about as potent as an old rock band decrying Bush as a bad president.

In other words, it's a David Cage game through and through.

He's always been like this; talking about the potential of games as some nebulous "emotional

storytelling medium" while in practice remaining about five years behind everyone else in the

narrative department.

And yet people keep praising his work, they keep throwing money his way, big name actors

sign up, he uses the most bleeding edge tech to produce these gorgeous looking worlds,

teams of hundreds of people bringing their A-game for this… nonsense.

A game that's about as subtle with its Christ imagery as a goddamn brick to the face, a

game that reveals horrendous abuse through crayon drawings of an android in bits and

a wee girl in tears, a game that draws some unbelievably literal lines between its central

struggle and not only the civil rights movement but the goddamn holocaust and genuinely tops

it all off with questions such as…

OK maybe this part could actually be considered a legitimate spoiler so I'm giving you an

opportunity to skip to the time thing shown but oh my god it's too funny not to mention…

…"what if all our divides could be healed through the power of song?"

It is wild, David Cage is a lunatic.

And honestly, it's kind of amazing to witness the train crash.

After a tepid opening few hours in which it feels like very little actually happens (again,

typical of most Cage games), the shlock really starts to pick up and it led to moments of

my mouth being agape, head in my hands, rolling around with laughter at the earnestness with

which all of this is presented.

I may not have been expressing the precious emotions Cage so desperately wants to extract

from players, I may have been laughing directly at the game, but in a year in which unbelievably

polished games have failed to get much of a reaction either way out of me, at least

I was laughing.

To be clear, I had a good time playing this game.

And to Cage's credit, there are some genuinely good moments sprinkled in there that show

marked improvement over his previous work, for sure.

Connor and Hank's relationship is certainly the most nuanced I've seen in a Cage game,

where instead of going for the obviously positive options in order to improve the bond between

your straight-laced detective and his depressed, alcoholic partner like you might in other

games - "you'll be OK, despite what you've been through you're valued, etc."

Hank'll squint at you for acting the angel and prying into his business.

It means you have to navigate the more difficult in-between – avoiding being a complete dingo

but showing enough cynicism in order to demonstrate that you can read between the lines; in short,

you have to convince Hank of your humanity.

It made me yearn for a game that focused entirely on this emotionally complex, often legitimately

funny buddy cop dynamic, using the wider civil unrest as a grim backdrop for smaller cases.

Moments where characters' stories would intersect had a surprisingly strong effect

on me.

I suddenly had to stop thinking about how I played each character separately and instead

try to weigh up those individual motivations against how I wanted the larger story to proceed.

This character wants to capture that character, for example, and I could easily make that

happen as I'm controlling both, but perhaps deliberately maintaining that cat-and-mouse

tension would make for a more interesting story.

Cage has always talked about putting players in the action and this is the closest he's

ever come to that, it's just that instead of fulfilling the role of actor focusing on

individuals, in these situations you're more a director, controlling actual pacing

as you consider the bigger picture.

It just so happens that, ultimately, this is a Cage game and so of course these moments

are going to be few and far between in favour of some truly awful writing.

And I'm not just talking about the heavy-handedness of the dialogue or the imagery and symbolism

at play.

I'm talking instead about Cage's continued insistence that games have to ape the storytelling

language of film in order to be a viable "emotional" medium, while also failing to utilise the

narrative strengths of either artform.

Let me give you an example.

Imagine you're reading a movie script; it's meant to be an exciting heist scene and it

reads "character is told to cut hole in window.

Character picks up bag.

Character walks with bag over to window.

Character puts bag down at window.

Character opens bag, etc."

You'd be laughed out of any writer's room for not just having a character say "get

the goddamn window" and then showing the window getting got.

It was the same in Heavy Rain, in which you'd wake your character up, you'd stand your

character up, you'd take a shower, you'd take a piss, and on and on with this utterly

meaningless busywork that did absolutely nothing to further the story.

Here, at least there's some narrative justification to having what is ostensibly a slave go around

cleaning every part of a house, but given how the game has you repeating every action

long after you've gotten the point about what it represents; how it fetishizes giving

you absolute analogue control over the smoothness of your interactions even though all it could

ever do in a narrative sense is make opening a door or helping someone up look goofy as

hell, Cage can't seem to decide whether he actually wants to tell you a story or if

he wants to impress you with his tech.

And it all brings us back to where it started; Kara was a demo envisioned by a man focusing

on one medium that he understands, resulting in a surprisingly focused and well put-together

end product.

Detroit: Become Human was meant to be Cage's storytelling opus, and, perhaps ironically,

ends up feeling like more of a tech demo - albeit an entertainingly shlocky one - than the actual

demo that inspired it.

So I hope you enjoyed my piece on Detroit.

I know some people really like this game and if you do, that's cool!

I just perhaps like it for different reasons.

As always, these videos are made possible by your unbelievably generous support over

on Patreon, so if you want to help the show, maybe consider donating – every pledge helps

more than you can possibly know.

Special thanks go to Mark B. Writing, Nico Bleackley, Rob, Michael Wolf, Artjom Vitsjuk,

Spike Jones, TheNamelessGuy, Chris Wright, Dr. Motorcycle, Harry Fuertes, Ham Migas,

Travis Bennett, Zach Casserly, Samuel Pickens, Tom Nash, Shardfire, Filip Lange, Ana Pimentel,

Jessie Rine, Brandon Robinson, Justins Holderness, Biggy Smith, Peter, Christian Konemann, Cameltraffic,

Nicolas Ross and Charlie Yang.

And with that, I've been Hamish and this has been Writing on Games.

Thank you very much for watching and I'll see you next time.

For more infomation >> Detroit Become Human is Amazing, for the Wrong Reasons - Duration: 8:18.

-------------------------------------------

Schietpartij Luik: "Hoe is het mogelijk dat zo'n gevaar voor de samenleving wordt vrijgelaten?" - Duration: 5:26.

For more infomation >> Schietpartij Luik: "Hoe is het mogelijk dat zo'n gevaar voor de samenleving wordt vrijgelaten?" - Duration: 5:26.

-------------------------------------------

BREAKING: Wale Aboderin, Chairman Of Punch Newspaper, Is Dead - Duration: 0:58.

Mr Wale Aboderin, Chairman of Punch Newspaper, has died. Punch Newspaper confirmed the death, saying it occurred at 605am on Wednesday after a heart surgery.

Aged 60, Aboderin was also the Chairman of Punch Commercial Printing Limited and Lukahed Properties Limited. Aboderin attended the Government College, Ibadan and trained as a pilot in the United States.

A sports enthusiast and philanthropist, he was the Founder and Chairman of Dolphins Female Basketball Foundation, and also a former Chairman of the Lagos State Basketball Association. He was also Vice-President of the Nigerian Basketball Supporters Club.

He is survived by his wife, Titilayo, and two daughters.

For more infomation >> BREAKING: Wale Aboderin, Chairman Of Punch Newspaper, Is Dead - Duration: 0:58.

-------------------------------------------

🔴LIVE #65 PUBG PC - Why PUBG is More Tempting than a Cinnabon - Duration: 44:41.

For more infomation >> 🔴LIVE #65 PUBG PC - Why PUBG is More Tempting than a Cinnabon - Duration: 44:41.

-------------------------------------------

Morning Coffee: Is Diversity Important - Duration: 12:33.

What's up?

So, I got some good coffee. This morning I want to talk about diversity.

Is diversity important? Let me tell you about my experience with that.

I'm from a really small town in East Texas called Emory

Emory By God, Texas! That's where I'm from. The population sign said 813 people.

Some of the best people that I've ever known are in that town. So here's what happened with me.

I made a decision to join the military, and my decision to join the military was out of desperation.

What I did was...I I left and went to college for three semesters until I partied my way out of that, and

then I moved back home. And when I moved back home, that's when things really started to get bad

I knew that if I didn't get out of there..if I didn't leave,

then I was gonna wind up in a bad situation.

So, I took off and my

Recruiter talked me into this job that was for smart kids. I was a linguist, so I went to language school.

So, at language school they were going to teach me

Vietnamese. I learned Vietnamese.

Crazy! So, I'm at this school on the coast of California, and let me tell you what that was like.

I grew up in Emory, Texas, and if I had the window open at night

when I was going to sleep. I could hear crickets

coyotes and cows.

That's what I could hear, right?

When I was in Monterey, California...Monterey Bay...up on the hill...prime real estate

overlooking the bay...the ocean...the Pacific Ocean...I'm laying in the barracks with my window open there, and I could hear seals

barking at the bay. It's was just

incredible the difference.

And keep in mind...at the Defense Language Institute where I was at...at the time

I think they taught somewhere between 40 and 50 foreign languages, and all of the instructors

are from that country. My teachers were from Vietnam.

So, I wound up

in probably the the most diverse

community in all of the military, and

for the first year in the Air Force at a DLI...at this language school

I compared everything to Emory.

And the things that I would say was

this isn't how the real world works.

And I was calling the real world

Emory

how it was there. Now, think about that for a second...the real world.

So, my real world...my experience of the world up to that point in my life and what I had accepted as what is

was Emory...the way that it was there.

And this isn't really specifically about Emory at all.

It's about my experience.

And eventually, I found out that my experience up to the point to where I joined the big Air Force

the Air Force is a big place...and then I'm at this language school where there's

so much diversity in people and thought and belief

and getting to know these cultures and getting to know these people

It was incredible. I found out that my experience

up to the point that I joined the military was really small

compared to the real world. The real world wasn't where I came from.

That was just a small tiny experience, and I had entered into a much bigger world.

And one of the things that occurred to me at some point along the way is this.

If you want to fully experience your life, and I don't care where you live.

You can live in Emory. You can live in New York City. You can still have

diverse experiences of life.

And really one of the easiest things you can do is open a book and read, you know?

Watch a documentary of some kind. Just learn about other things, and let me you

geography...the era in which you were born...the community you were born into

all of these things have influenced who you are.

Completely...all the way down to the very fiber of your being!

These things have influenced who you are, because you, me, or anyone...if we were born on the other side of the world

500 years ago, everything would be different.

Everything would be different. So, it's important to understand that there are different experiences.

There are different types of people, and the key word there is

understanding.

Let me tell you something. I didn't try Chinese food till I was 17, and I like it...ok?

And then when I got to the Defense Language Institute

and I was studying Vietnamese, one of my best friends...and he's still one of my best friends today

Jason Williams is his name. He was a Thai linguist.

So, he was learning Thai, and I tried Thai food for the first time when I was 21-22 years old

I tried Thai food. Thai food is my favorite food.

And listen to this. It's so fucking simple

but if you don't pay attention to your life's experience, sometimes you're gonna miss some very

important lessons.

Until we wake up to the experience of our life, we're gonna have the same

undesirable things happen over and over and over again.

So...wake up a little bit. Pay attention, and here's something very small

but it's very profound, and it applies to everything!

Thai food is my favorite food.

I never tried it until I was like 21-22 years old, and guess what?

If I would have never tried Thai food, I would have never known

that it was my favorite food.

If you don't try things...if you don't get outside of the box that has been primarily constructed

for you...not by you, okay?

The trick is

recognizing that and start dismantling

the parts that don't serve you that are causing you to be stuck

in whatever area that you're stuck.

Dismantle that shit and build it back up

yourself with new and diverse experiences

because if you never try it...you're never gonna know. Your favorite thing to do

could very well be bungee jumping or skydiving

but if you never try it, you'll never know.

There's no way that you can experience the fullness of life without diversity.

Most of the time, the things that we hate

don't like

disagree with...are the things that we simply don't understand

period!

So...diversity.

Understanding. If we're going to come together, right

and tear down all the different things that divide us and separate us...if we're gonna come together

then we got to get to know each other. I'm a firm believer that if we get to know each other

we're gonna find that and we're gonna click. That's what's gonna happen, and

it's all about just

understanding other people. The reason that diversity is so important

the reason that we all need it in our lives is number one, so we can come together

understand each other better

understand each other to the point to know that we all really are kind of looking for the same thing.

So, we can come together as a diverse community

to address diverse problems with diverse solutions.

So that's one reason diversity is important. The other reason is because

you will not experience the fullness of life

unless you try new things

unless you get to know about other things...unless you learn about other things...try new things

experience new people, new places, new conversations

and you just might find out

that those new people

the new places, the new conversations...the new things that you experience just might be

your very favorite thing.

So...is diversity important? Absolutely!

One of the things I like to say is, diversity is one of the best teachers, and it will help us

experience the fullness of life.

And the things that I'm about...

awareness

awareness of your box

and the parts that help you and the parts that don't.

And once we figure out the parts that don't help us

and we take responsibility for those things and stop blaming

other things, other people, other groups, other ideas

take responsibility for that, because until you can say I did this

I live in this box, and I'm allowing this box to be my experience.

Until you can say I did this, you don't have the power to change it.

You don't have the power to do anything about it. So, first is awareness. Next, is personal responsibility.

And then once you take responsibility, you have to take action, don't you? You have to take action!

If you don't do anything, nothing's gonna happen.

If nothing changes, nothing changes, right?

And I'm also about understanding each other...getting to know each other

appreciating the diversity...of us...coming together as a diverse community

on common ground with a common goal of just...well...first of all

just loving each other...loving each other, and coming up with diverse solutions to diverse problems

and breaking down

these barriers that we've all created.

Sometimes I think about

the conflict that we have in the world and the world that we've constructed, and it just blows me away.

You know?

Borders and...not just borders, but we're gonna build walls to keep people out.

We made all this shit up!

We made all of this up!

We created all of these boundaries, and you know what it kinda comes down to

because I'm better than you. That's why.

You can't come here, because we're better than you. We're right you're wrong

and it's just so ridiculous.

We're not better than anybody.

So, I'm about coming together.

Awareness, responsibility, action, and then breaking down this

bullshit that we've created...breaking down these bull shit barriers we've created and coming together

as the human race.

That's it.

Please take what you need and leave the rest. Bye.

Thank you so much for watching this video!

I hope that you found something of value that you can take and apply to your everyday life.

Now, be sure to subscribe to this channel, and turn on notifications so that you're notified every time I upload a new video.

You can also watch these coffee talks LIVE on my Facebook page three times a week.

Just go to Facebook and search for Will & Purpose Coaching, and stick around for the credits

so you can learn more ways that we can connect.

Welcome to the community!

For more infomation >> Morning Coffee: Is Diversity Important - Duration: 12:33.

-------------------------------------------

Lexus IS 250 Sport Navigatie, Pre-Crash safety, Sunroof, Mark Levinson - Duration: 0:55.

For more infomation >> Lexus IS 250 Sport Navigatie, Pre-Crash safety, Sunroof, Mark Levinson - Duration: 0:55.

-------------------------------------------

Trump Is STILL Whining That ABC President Hasn't Apologized To Him - Duration: 2:58.

Donald Trump is too immature to be the president of the United States.

For at least the last 24 hours, he has been nonstop tweeting, whining tweeting about the

fact that Bob Iger, the president of ABC, has not yet called him to apologize for, I

guess, the network's negative coverage of him.

As most people know, Bob Iger did call Valerie Jarrett, the woman who was made fun of with

that horrible comment by Roseanne Barr.

He called her and apologized to her, said, "That doesn't represent what this network

stands for.

I'm very sorry.

We got rid of Roseanne."

Donald Trump, as he does with every other issue there is, made it all about him and

wanted to know why Iger is not calling him, blowing his phone up, giving him an apology

for god knows what because that's the thing.

There is no instance whatsoever of anyone on ABC using any kind of racial slur to attack

the president of the United States, which is what Roseanne did to attack Valerie Jarrett.

What is Trump wanting an apology for?

Is he wanting an apology for the network talking about some of the horrible things he's done,

for talking about the Michael Cohen-Stormy Daniels scandal or the Robert Mueller investigation

or his low approval ratings or the constant lies that come out of his mouth?

What does Trump want an apology for?

Here's the answer to that question because it's pretty obvious.

He knows that Iger has nothing to apologize to him for, but he feels like he should be

apologized to.

Why?

Because it hurts his ego when they go out there and say this negative but true things

about him.

When they point out the fact that he's lost the support of the majority of the public,

when they point out the fact that these investigations are getting closer to home for him and could

eventually insnare him personally, when they talk about how crazy and stupid Rudy Giuliani

is every time he gives an interview.

That's not slander.

That's just telling people what happened that particular day and it hurts your ego.

It may even hurt your feelings.

I don't know if you have those but that's what you want an apology for, not because

they've done anything to damage your reputation, but because they hurt your fragile, little

ego.

Trump is going to continue to whine about it.

He's going to stay on Twitter and demand apologies for his imagined slights because he lives

in his own reality.

In his own personal world, anytime you say something that's true about him but also negative,

that's a personal attack.

It's fake news.

It's not real but to the rest of us in this real world of America, we understand that

these things are true, they are real and nobody needs to apologize for holding the president

accountable for some of the crazy things he says and some of the horrible policies that

he enacts.

For more infomation >> Trump Is STILL Whining That ABC President Hasn't Apologized To Him - Duration: 2:58.

-------------------------------------------

Neville Longbottom Is HOT & Married! | TMZ TV - Duration: 1:13.

>> MATTHEW LEWIS, HE IS

LONGBOTTOM IN THE "HARRY POTTER"

FRANCHISE.

HE GOT REALLY HOT THE LAST FEW

YEARS.

HE WAS DORKY.

HARVEY: HE'S GOOD LOOKING.

>> HE GOT MARRIED THIS WEEKEND

IN PORTOFINO IN ITALY.

THEY ACTUALLY MET AS A WIRZ

ARDING WORLD "HARRY POTTER"

EVENT IN UNIVERSAL STUDIOS.

AND SHE'S BEAUTIFUL.

HARVEY: WOW, THEY'RE A GOOD

LOOKING COUPLE.

>> GORGEOUS.

HARVEY: WHEN WAS THE PICTURE

TAKEN IN RELATION TO THE

WEDDING?

>> THE FIRST PICTURE WAS HERE

THE DAY BEFORE AND THEN ON

MONDAY THEY GOT MARRIED IN

PORTOFINO, WHICH WAS LIKE

NORTHERN ITALIAN.

>> OH, THEY'RE HOLIDAY WEDDING

PEOPLE.

OH, WAIT I DID THAT.

I CAN'T SAY THAT.

[LAUGHTER]

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét