Thứ Năm, 29 tháng 11, 2018

Waching daily Nov 29 2018

When we think about choices that are made in health care, and if you

really think about health care and health, it's a series of decisions that

we make. In health care it's often a patient and a doctor or a family and a

doctor making a decision together and it's always a comparison of two or more

options: Should I take a statin or not for my high cholesterol? Should I take an

aspirin to prevent a stroke or will that carry too much risk versus in that case

not taking anything, so they're always these choices that we have to make and

that's a comparison that we need.

There is a vast need for comparative

effectiveness research and as we get more technologically sophisticated I'd

say it's even a crisis. We have so many decisions being made without knowing

which is better in a society spending almost 19% of its gross national product

on health care. We can do a lot better if we use the things that work best and we

can't tell what's going to work best unless we do the studies.

Given the urgency and the extraordinary need I think having an independent agency

that's focused on comparative effectiveness research is really

critical right now we have so many things that need to be studied the

methods are a bit different than traditional NIH research or what the

medical products industry has done. PCORI already has had a big impact but its

impact could be even bigger in the future given the crisis we have on cost

and the need for people to know out of the many treatments we have which ones

are best. Even the methods developed by PCORI being patient-centered,

after all we're trying to inform people about decisions they need to make so

furthering these methods is an important part of the overall effort.

For more infomation >> More CER Research is Needed - Duration: 2:08.

-------------------------------------------

Is that an overpriced dust collector?? - Duration: 5:41.

I made the purchase August 15, 2018

Be sure to like and subscribe! Thanks for joining me today.

For more infomation >> Is that an overpriced dust collector?? - Duration: 5:41.

-------------------------------------------

Grant Rigney is UT's Eighth Rhodes Scholar - Duration: 1:01.

I'm Grant Rigney. I'm a senior studying chemical and biomolecular engineering.

I'm from Tullahoma, Tennessee, and I'm the University of Tennessee's eighth Rhodes Scholar.

I'm interested in public health research as it's focused specifically on

bio-markers, that's what I'm writing my undergraduate thesis on, and its

application to surgery in particular. My desire is to be a surgeon, and to use

public health research to merge the two, and to do research that helps people who

are in need of certain surgical procedures.

For the Rhodes, particularly, but certainly daunting, knowing the list of people who

have done amazing things, but really it's just I feel like it's a time for me to

be grateful to people who have supported me in two departments, because I wouldn't

have been able to do it without a lot of help. I've loved UT. It's a place that

has all the resources that you may need to pursue whatever field you're

interested in, and it's been a place that's given me so many opportunities.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét