Thứ Ba, 30 tháng 5, 2017

Waching daily May 31 2017

Hi, my name is Kristin FitzPatrick, and I'm going to be reading from my collection of

short stories called My Pulse is an Earthquake, published in 2015 by West Virginia

University Press.

I'm going to read a couple of pages from a story called "Canis Major."

I lied about Vivvi.

She had a date once, if you can call it that.

It happened earlier this summer, after the four of us had gone next door to welcome Officer

Ryan to the neighborhood.

To show his thanks, he said he'd have us all over for supper sometime.

Mama said he should just have Vivvi over for her birthday, which meant he'd have me there

too, as her chaperone.

While we waited on the porch for him to open the door, Vivvi said, "A half hour's plenty long to eat supper

isn't it?" Officer Ryan opened the door just then,

so I reached into my pocket and hit the start button on my stopwatch.

Inside, an Elvis record was playing "Return to Sender" just loud enough to drown out

the ticking of my watch.

The house still smelled of moth balls and Pine-Sol.

We used to go over there to check on Officer Ryan's grandma before she went into the

old folks' home and left her house to him. Her big wine goblets were still collecting dust on the mantle.

Her rusty candle sticks, still mounted on the walls.

Soon as we sat at the table, a young lady entered from the kitchen and served us dinner,

so we could all get it over with.

She wasn't much older than Vivvi, and despite the blond dye in her hair, she was even uglier.

Officer Ryan picked up his fork and knife. "This is my housekeeper, girls. Grace."

The girl nodded and rushed back into the kitchen.

"Pleased to meet you, Miss Grace," I said. "Her name ain't Grace," Officer Ryan said.

"I meant, let's say grace." I laughed, but Vivvi didn't.

We bowed while Officer Ryan prayed over the chicken fried steak and the perfectly shaped blobs

of mashed potatoes and peas—TV dinners.

We ate in silence while Elvis thanked the rolling sea.

Before long, Officer Ryan opened his mouth sideways.

He stuck his finger in there and pulled a string of meat free and licked it off of his fingertip.

He pushed his plate forward.

"Anyway," he said.

"Enough about the help.

She only comes over once in a while.

I want to know about Vivian."

He looked at my cousin like she was an old pickup for sale, and he just might be interested

in making a deal.

Vivvi coughed and said, "Not much to say."

She kept eating.

So, over "Song of the Shrimp," I told Officer Ryan about me: that I was aces in

school, and I trained the dogs to jump yay high, and I could ride Vivvi's ten-speed

no-handed all the way around the block.

He actually listened to my lies, smiling and nodding, putting his fork down and looking

right at me with those gray eyes, until I noticed a golden ring around each pupil.

Vivvi reached into my pocket and we both peeked down at the time.

Eleven minutes of her time wasted.

The walls have ears, Elvis sang.

I stopped my watch.

Me and Vivvi both sat up straight, hands on armrests, waiting to be set free.

Officer Ryan leaned back and sized up Vivvi's worth again: matted hair, high forehead,

long nose, soft chin.

What purpose could the homely girl serve?

He pointed to her throat and said:

"I hear you got a set of pipes in there. Can you sing to this record?"

For more infomation >> Kristin FitzPatrick - excerpt from My Pulse is an Earthquake - Duration: 3:26.

-------------------------------------------

Pentagon says THAAD deployment process in Korea is "very transparent" - Duration: 0:36.

Following President Moon Jae-in's remarks... that he had not been informed about the arrival

of additional components,... the U.S. Defense Department responded... insisting it has been

honest and clear-cut in its process of deploying the THAAD missile defense battery in South

Korea.

A Pentagon spokesman says Washington is working closely with the South Korean government regarding

the deployment, and that all of their actions have been "very transparent".

The THAAD installation remains unpopular among the Korean public,... and has also faced steady

opposition from China.

For more infomation >> Pentagon says THAAD deployment process in Korea is "very transparent" - Duration: 0:36.

-------------------------------------------

Prince Harry Is Reportedly Waiting for Meghan Markle to Get Used to Royal Life Before Proposing - Duration: 1:47.

In the wake of Pippa Middleton's wedding, people are already looking forward to the

next "royal" nuptials, with all signs pointing to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

Though fans may be eager to see the couple take their relationship to the next step,

Prince Harry is taking his time before proposing.

Specifically, he wants her to get used to royal life before he considers popping the

question, according to royal biographer Ingrid Seward.

"He wants her to acclimatize to it all," Seward told People.

"It�s such a whole different world to move into there�s so much to get used to."

It seems like the actress is smoothly transitioning into royal life.

She and Harry often take overseas trips to visit each other in London and Toronto; she's

already met numerous members of the royal family (including Prince Charles, Prince William

and Kate Middleton); and there are even reports she might move in to Kensington Palace to

live with her man.

Though the pair's relationship might be getting serious, they could still have a long way

to go.

Harry's older brother Prince William and Kate Middleton took their time before saying "I

do."

The now Duke and Duchess were first reported to be dating in 2004, before getting engaged

in 2010.

(They briefly split and reunited in 2007.)

They finally tied the knot in April 2011.

It wouldn't come as a surprise if Harry and Meghan went at the same speed.

tell us your thoughts in comments below.

thanks for watching.

please like,subscribe and share my videos.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét