Thứ Ba, 30 tháng 5, 2017

Waching daily May 30 2017

One of the things that surprised me when I first moved to Poland

was that hip-hop was largely popular here.

Despite it always have been considered an american art form,

specifically an african-american art form.

So today, I am surprised to be sitting with a man, who's immigrated from the US

to kick off his rap career.

So if you could just tell me a little about your background, who you are, where're you from?

Simply, born in Texas, 26 years old,

had the ambition to be an entertainer from the young age,

and got to take it to New York when I was 18 years old

and that's what I became who you see today.

I'm assuming that it was probably hard for you to imagine

that you'd end up at this phase in your life, living in Poland.

I'm curious, when you were child in Texas what did you know about the country of Poland?

Nothing.

Never heard of Poland.

Nah, I didn't even know if it was a country, I've never heard of it at all.

Do you remember the first time you did hear about Poland?

Yeah, I always remember that.

I was in New York City, working in a hot-dog stand in Times Square.

So I'm working here, and I'm meeting people from all over the world

and then I see this young lady and her friend, she looked different.

But they were speaking the language that I was unfamiliar with.

And I'm a musician, so I'm hearing languages, I'm like, I can pick that up.

I made eye contact and asked "Where are you from?"

She said Poland.

I was like "what?"

Did you look in Poland after the girl?

Not, I didn't, I looked into her.

She interested me, not the country, to be honest.

But the thing was being around her and her friend, listening to the language

I did become interested and the fact that it ended up being planted in my consciousness,

and I was actually aware of this country now,

so I begun to see and hear the words, and the language

and see it in movies in my home culture in America

and I started to pick up like "Okay, Poland".

What transpired that ended up with you coming over here?

A dream.

I'd say, a dream.

The scariest thing was coming over here

and knowing that somebody who I care about is also in Poland.

That was scary.

But logically, as a young artist, I'm thinking "Yo, that's the perfect staep, I'm fearless,

why not go to Poland if it's so close to Europe?"

you know, and then there's Eastern Europe, like did you ever hear about hip-hop in Ukraine?

I didn't know this.

I don't know.

But shit, I'm thinking "Why not?

Maybe I can go to Ukraine, maybe I can go to Russia,

and do some music and then hey, Asia is not so far!"

The first place I landed in Europe was Copenhagen.

And then Copenhagen to Warsaw.

But your final destination was Warsaw.

Was Warsaw.

You've never been to Poland.

Never.

You didn't speak the language.

Not at all.

You didn't have friends waiting for you here.

No.

All you knew is that you saw two girls at a hot-dog stand in Times Square.

Yeah, one of them invited me.

That's it.

What became of the girl who invited you?

That's the love of my life right now.

That's somebody I really care about.

You've gotta realise that I'm the type of person who doesn't trust people.

I don't really deal with many people.

I'm very keen to vibration and spirituality in a way

of what you try to hide I see. I trusted her.

And then I worked on trusting her more and more from being such a closed person

and now I can be vulnerable with this type of person and I can trust her.

That's obviously some type of love, you know.

I can't describe it in another words.

Actually it wasn't even a fact that she was polish.

It was the fact that she was her.

It was her.

There you go brother, that's exactly what it was.

What was your first impression off the airplane?

Really?

Mmmmm.

The signs were the first thing that they had me like nervous.

Because it's like "Yo, you gotta think Blu" in New York I'm seeing signs in English,

Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, like I'm seeing it in different languages,

but now you're in a country that only speaks their language.

And you don't know nothing about it, and nothing about language,

so reading the signs was like "Whaat?"

What would you say polish people's first impression of you was like?

Jesus Christ!

O sh…!

But forgive me what I'm saying, but when they saw me, somebody for the first was like...

"Whhaaaat?".

Kids loving.

That's diferent. They're curios.

This is like "oh, he's an alien!

Yaaaay!".

I mean the thing is, dude, you're a character even for the Times Square.

Like I'm looking at you, what the…

You're like a mix of a pirate and bohemian hippie…

Now you've got six more to go.

Yeah, you right.

They are either enjoying that I was diferent, curious,

or shocked, but I've had a few people who were fearful.

And fear is usually expressed in anger.

Racial remarks?

Yea, I had a few.

I actually had them last year.

Me and my lady went to just go eat, go back home,

and it's literally in the same block that I live.

Two gentlemen were doing just fine before we walked by.

And then, we walked by and "Oh pierdoły!"

They started singing some songs and it's like I turn around,

really quitely, because I told my lady…

Because she understands the language, I don't,

so I kinda get the handicap of ignoring a lot easier.

She know what they're saying.

I said "look, you can't say what you want to say to anybody."

Imagine my heart was pumping because I wanted to punch the kid in a face for just being rude.

It's like me and my lady, bro.

Like, where's your respect, did your parents not teach you to respect other people?

And if they didn't I feel sorry for you because you're not really going grow

anyone else in the world except here, in this little place that you…

"Oh, what man."

"Don't do that again".

" Okay, okay, go home."

No, you go home.

What do you mean go home?

In a context of going home I knew what they were meaning,

because they might not speak English, but it wasn't go home to Kabaty where I stay,

it was go home.

So you came to Poland for love, you've discovered a culture that you're seemed to admire and

you would like to contribute entertainment, music, art to this place.

I'm curious, your art form is hip-hop music.

What do you think of polish hip-hop?

It's growing.

Like I said, a lot of…

And it's funny for me, because if we're speaking about hip-hop in this segment,

hip-hop to them it's just a cookie cut.

Because listening to the style and seeing how they dress we did that, ten years ago.

Like I grow up on this, we created it, naturally.

They just liked it, enjoyed it, and used it their way.

But the beautiful thing is now it's starting to change in a way where

they're creating their own style, look, sound.

Like they have their own artists, characters,

like some of the cast that I've met in Młode Wilki

I wouldn't probably see in an american market, but yo, he's polish,

he's doing hip-hop,

he's spitting rhymes, and might sound similar to ours, but that's all hip-hop community.

But he's got his own swag.

And that's different.

You asked me if you should be prepared for any questions, but it's not a question.

I was really curious about your freestyle ability.

Oh, really?

I can dig it.

Right now?

When, tomorrow, I've got the cameras going now.

Alright, I'm going to give the topic, you've gotta…

We're friend, I can fuck with you a little bit.

Again, I'm gonna give you a topic, I want you to go for it, okay?

We'll start off easy.

Alright, easy, easy.

Warsaw.

Warsaw Poland…

So is this way that I go, towards Piaseczno, I mean, I'm leaving Warsaw,

it might not be fun, but tonight I'm with a nice shorty and right, she be a damn.

She telling me "niebieski, czekaj" you may wanna wait. I mean see

I don't hate on you cause you from another place,

but now we're in Warsaw and my face

is changing up when I'm looking at the place itself.

I ask for pierogi, you - kebab, depends on my job, when I'm hungry, głowny, głowny?

Głodny!

Give me one more.

This one's for Kult America viewers, we're gonna go easy, softball,

rap about polish girls.

I think he's gonna pass.

I'm not gonna pass, like, what kind of artist is that say "No, I won't do that".

Oh I thought maybe your girlfriend's little possessive and gonna be upset.

She's my girlfriend, bro, she's my królowa.

My królowa z Kroczowa, I thought I told ya,

nie dobrze, jest my drzewo,

I thought that you know, I don't wanna really holla at the polish girls right now,

cause I'm cool and I know somehow that I might have two who move like cow.

I mean don't know beef.

I mean, you're lookin good, real fine, when you're walking down the street ah.

When I found about the polish ladies, they're sometimes stronger than a man

and that's shady, but i don't want to say none to disrespect my homie.

We gonna sid down, drink and eat some pierogi.

I mean I see 'em at Sketch NITE or Ritual, or any other club man it's like a ritual, cause

she just wanna have fun with her friends, they jump on me cause "he's czarny"

and it's cool, but it's high I mean.

I'm just saying what I'm saying in my brain what I'm saying, what I'm saying

it'd be a stan, I mean.

I'm insane.

That was good, that was good.

Tell me what's up with your Polish?

What's your name?

Name..

I am Blu.

Niebieski, right?

How old are you?

Dwanaście?

No dwanaście is twelve.

Wait, go home, man.

Twenty.

Twenty six.

Twenty six.

Where are you from?

That I've never heard.

Where are you from?

What is your country?

Nah, I don't know.

Okay, I just asked what country are you from.

Really?

One more time, tho.

I see your friend is pretty good at polish.

I can speak Russian, because i was in Ukraine and I was kind of..

He looks like he speaks Russian.

I agree with that.

Alright, if you had a message for the people of Poland,

now that you're among them, what

would that message be?

See the gold in your country.

Because there's magic here and it needs to be tapped into it.

And the only people who can tap into that are the polish people.

Tap into your own inner self, and be open,

not too open, of course, but be open to whatevs the world has to offer,

because it helps you become a better country.

We also think that people should tap into the Kult America channel

by tapping the subscribe button, so then you can see more people like Blu,

maybe you will see him again, also,

without being too brutal please write your comments in a comment section

what do you think about having him in polish society,

do you welcome him, do you shun him, what are your opinions.

But be careful what you say because I like this guy.

And I want him to stick around.

I don't know how to do that fucking bullshit.

We did it, it was enough bro, what else we're supposed to do, like...

For more infomation >> Why I left America for POLAND? (feat. Blu Mantic) [Kult America] - Duration: 11:56.

-------------------------------------------

CCAC: ESL for Students who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing - Duration: 5:49.

Hello! I'm MJ Shahen, and I'm excited to share some news about CCAC

--that is, Community College of Allegheny County.

This news is going out to students who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing,

individuals who use a cochlear implant,

immigrants who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing

...and you!

We have a new class for you! The class is called ESL

--that is, English as a Second Language

It's a non-credit class offered through CCAC Community Education.

That means there are no grades, just learning.

The class is at CCAC and begins in Fall 2017.

Who may enroll in the class?

Well, students who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing,

or individuals who use a cochlear implant,

or immigrants who are Deaf

...and you!

The class is taught through written English and American Sign Language.

The goals of the class are to improve English reading comprehension and writing skills.

Why sharpen these skills?

Well, you might need to communicate regularly through written English in the workplace,

or perhaps you're getting ready to enter college.

There really are many different reasons why students benefit from

improving their English literacy skills in addition to improving their ASL signing skills.

Both skills are important.

"Hello!"

Teacher: "Would you please write the correctly conjugated verb in this sentence on the board, right here?"

Student: "Sure thing."

Teacher: "Almost! Let's think about that again. Here's an example..."

"So, the letter Y changes in this case. Do you remember how Y changes?"

Student: "Oh, that's right. Got it."

Teacher: "Yes, that's correct. Right!"

Teacher: "Good job! Now, in the other part of this sentence..."

"...what's the correct form of this verb right here?"

Teacher: "That's right! Now, how would you express this whole idea in American Sign Language?"

Student: "If she studies..."

"...she gets good grades."

Teacher: "Perfect!"

Student: "Thank you."

So, is CCAC expensive?

No, it's not.

This class is very affordable because it's non-credit, so fees are much lower than those of a credit class.

If you're still concerned about being able to afford the class, maybe the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR),

or your employer, or another organization would be able to sponsor you.

We can help you with your options. Don't worry!

Next, please understand this class is bilingual--and that's amazing!

It means your English reading and writing skills and your ASL skills will develop

for improved communication in both languages.

Third, the class is oriented to visual learners through PowerPoint presentations, an engaging textbook,

and many other visual aids and activities.

Now, where is the class located?

It meets in the center of Pittsburgh--you know, near the baseball and football stadiums!

The class is accessible by car, by bike, on foot, or by bus.

The CCAC Allegheny Campus location is easy to reach.

The ESL teacher is Jackie Gross-McDowell. She signs, plus she has experience teaching English to individuals

who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing, as well as international students.

She is a tutor at CCAC who teaches English reading and writing.

And I am the ASL Coordinator and a professor at CCAC, and I teach students how to develop their communication skills.

Now, if you're watching this and are interested in what we have to offer you,

please get on a computer and send me an email...

or send an email to Jackie.

Okay--see you in class!

For more infomation >> CCAC: ESL for Students who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing - Duration: 5:49.

-------------------------------------------

How to Draw Butterfly Coloring Pages for Kids How to Paint Butterfly Funny Coloring Book - Duration: 10:44.

How to Draw Butterfly Coloring Pages for Kids How to Paint Butterfly Funny Coloring Book

For more infomation >> How to Draw Butterfly Coloring Pages for Kids How to Paint Butterfly Funny Coloring Book - Duration: 10:44.

-------------------------------------------

Liberty Insurance, Roundabout - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 1:35.

For more infomation >> Liberty Insurance, Roundabout - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 1:35.

-------------------------------------------

What's for Dinner - Creole Shrimp - Duration: 0:13.

For more infomation >> What's for Dinner - Creole Shrimp - Duration: 0:13.

-------------------------------------------

Aiming for a Cure - Duration: 4:21.

IN A FEW MINUTES.

THE EASTERN SHORE

ARCHERY

ASSOCIATION IS A

GROUP THAT GETS

LOCAL ARCHERS

INVOLVED IN 3D

ARCHERY. COMPETING

AT DIFFERENT

ARCHERY RANGES ON

DELMARVA, THE ESAA

RECENTLY

PARTICIPATED IN AN

EVENT THAT WAS

ABOUT MUCH MORE

THAN ARCHERY.

THIS WEEK THE ESAA

IS HEADING TO THE

TUCKAHOE BOWMEN'S

3D COURSE AT

TUCKAHOE STATE

PARK.

IF YOU WANT TO MEET

AWESOME PEOPLE

THIS IS THE PLACE TO

COME BECAUSE IT'S

JUST AN AWESOME

GROUP OF PEOPLE TO

COME OUT AND

SHOOT.

LIKE MOST 3D

COURSES, THIS ONE

HAS IT'S OWN VARIETY

OF 3D TARGETS, A

TOTAL OF 30 FOR THE

ARCHERS TO TAKE

AIM.

ONE UNIQUE FEATURE

OF THIS COURSE HAS

TO BE THE TERRAIN,

WHICH ADDS ITS OWN

DEGREE OF

CHALLENGES TO

HITTING THE TARGET

CJ

OF COURSE THE ESAA

IS HERE TO ALLOW

THESE ARCHERS TO

HAVE A FRIENDLY

COMPETITION, BUT

THEY WOULDN'T BE

HERE TODAY IF NOT

FOR A 16 YEAR OLD

NAMED NATHAN.

WE STARTED THIS 3

YEARS AGO NATHAN

WANTED TO DO

SOMETHING A LITTLE

DIFFERENT BESIDES

THE 5KS AND THE

TABLE SET UPS.

WHAT NATHAN DOES

IS USE ALL THE

PROCEEDS FROM THIS

ARCHERY

TOURNAMENT, AND

ALL THE OTHER

EVENTS HE

ORGANIZES, TO

BENEFIT CHILDREN

WITH CANCER.

AND HE JUST WANTED

TO MAKE A

DIFFERENCE FOR THE

CHILDREN AND THE

FAMILIES IN THE

HOSPITAL AND TO BE

ABLE TO DO THINGS

FOR THEM. SO

NATHAN FOUNDED

NATHAN'S STORY

CHILDHOOD CANCER

ORGANIZATION AND

WE TOOK OFF FROM

THERE.

NATHAN TAKES EVERY

CENT OF EVERY

DOLLAR EARNED TO

DUPONT HOSPITAL

FOR CHILDREN IN

WILMINGTON

DELAWARE, NOT ONLY

FOR RESEARCH, BUT

FOR THE SMALL

THINGS KIDS NEED

THAT WE MAY NOT

THINK ABOUT.

ICE CREAM PARTIES

PIZZA PARTIES,

ANYTHING TO LET THE

KIDS KNOW WHILE

THEY'RE THERE THAT

SOMEBODY ELSE IS

THINKING OF THEM.

AND THERE IS AN

OUTSIDE, AND THERE'S

HOPE.

UNFORTUNATELY

NATHAN CAN'T BE

WITH US TODAY,

NATHAN'S IN HIS THIRD

BATTLE NOW DEALING

WITH THE SECOND

CANCER CAUSED BY

HIS PRIOR CHEMO

TREATMENT. SO HE IS

HOME ON ISOLATION

RECOVERING FROM A

BONE MARROW

TRANSPLANT FOR

LUEKEMIA.

TO BRING YOU UP TO

SPEED, NATHAN

FOUNDED NATHAN'S

STORY DURING HIS

SECOND BATTLE WITH

BONE CANCER, WHEN

HE WAS JUST 11

YEARS OLD. AND HE

FOUNDED IT TO

BENEFIT OTHER

CHILDREN SUFFERING

FROM THE DISEASE.

NATHAN WAS

DIAGNOSED AT 9

YEARS OLD WITH

BONE CANCER, AND HE

WENT THROUGH

REGULAR CHEMO

TREATMENTS, AND HE

WAS DOING REALLY

WELL BUT THEN HE

RELAPSED WITH THE

SAME THING, BONE

CANCER BUT IT WAS IN

BOTH HIS LUNGS. AND

NATHAN DETERMINED

AT THAT POINT HE

KNEW HIS ODDS HAD

CHANGED A LITTLE BIT

AND DECIDED THAT IT

WASN'T ABOUT HIM

ANYMORE, IT WAS

ABOUT ALL OF THE

OTHER CHILDREN.

NATHAN'S

SELFLESSNESS AND

BRAVERY ARE

CHARACTERISTICS

NOT LOST ON THE

MEMBERS OF THE

ESAA.

TO GO THROUGH

WHAT HE'S GONE

THROUGH AND STILL

HAVE THE COURAGE

TO DIG IN DEEP AND

GO FARTHER WITH IT.

SO, WHAT ELSE CAN

YOU SAY ABOUT IT

HE'S AN AWESOME

KID.

AN AWESOME KID

WHO HAS FOUGHT

SEEMINGLY

UNWINABLE BATTLES,

TO DEVOTE ALL HIS

EFFORTS TO HELP

OTHER KIDS FACING

THOSE SAME ODDS.

AND SEEING NATHAN

COME IN BEING A

CHILDHOOD CANCER

FIGHTER, SURVIVOR,

FIGHTER MULTIPLE

TIMES IT REALLY DOES

ADD A LOT OF HOPE.

AND HE'S ABLE TO SIT

DOWN AND

ENCOURAGE THE KIDS.

BEING AN AVID

HUNTER AND FAN OF

THE TRANQUILITY

THAT A DAY OF

SHOOTING 3D IN THE

WOODS BRINGS,

NATHAN WAS A LITTLE

DOWN THAT HE

COULDN'T MAKE IT.

BUT HIS MOM KIM

KNOWS HOW

THANKFUL HE IS THAT

EVERYONE STILL

MADE IT TO SHOOT.

THEY LOVE SEEING

THE PICTURES

BECAUSE HERE ARE

ALL THESE BIG

BRUSTLY BURLY GUYS

THAT DO ALL THESE

OUTDOOR

EVENTS--WE GET

WOMEN TOO DON'T

MISUNDERSTAND

ME--BUT JUST TO SEE

THEM OUT HERE

SHOOTING FOR THEM

AND DOING FOR THEM

IS JUST AMAZING.

JUST AS AMAZING IS

NATHAN'S STORY. IT'S

THE STORY OF A

YOUNG MAN WHO HAS

SPENT NEARLY HALF

OF HIS LIFE FIGHTING,

NOT ONLY FOR

HIMSELF, BUT TO GIVE

A LITTLE BIT OF HOPE

TO OTHER CHILDREN

LIKE HIM.

COMING UP NEXT, WE

CHECK OUT AN EVENT

For more infomation >> Aiming for a Cure - Duration: 4:21.

-------------------------------------------

Liberty Insurance - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 0:31.

For more infomation >> Liberty Insurance - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 0:31.

-------------------------------------------

Dengraf Glasses non-glare system for night driving (english with subtitle) - Duration: 1:43.

For more infomation >> Dengraf Glasses non-glare system for night driving (english with subtitle) - Duration: 1:43.

-------------------------------------------

Liberty Insurance, Motorway - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 1:33.

For more infomation >> Liberty Insurance, Motorway - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 1:33.

-------------------------------------------

Jessica Chastain Calls Out Cannes Films For Dismal Portrayal Of Women Characters - Duration: 1:44.

Jessica Chastain concluded her time as a jury member of the 2017 Cannes Film Festival by

speaking candidly about a trend she found quite disturbing after watching 20 films in

10 days.The one thing I really took away from this experience

is how the world views women, from the female characters that I saw represented, Chastain

said during a press conference.

And it was quite disturbing to me to be honest, she continued.

The star comments came after Sofia Coppola made history as the second woman ever to win

Best Director at the coveted film festival.

Coppola was honored for her work directing The Beguiled, remake of the 1971 Civil War

drama about an injured Yankee soldier who seeks shelter at an all-girls boarding school

in rural Virginia.

The actress was quick to point out that there were some exceptions to what she saw.

But for the most part, I was surprised with the representation of female characters on

screen in these films, she added.

Chastain comments soon went viral, with more female leaders in the entertainment industry

celebrating her candor.

For more infomation >> Jessica Chastain Calls Out Cannes Films For Dismal Portrayal Of Women Characters - Duration: 1:44.

-------------------------------------------

কাপড় খুলে সেক্স GAME FOR GAME - Duration: 5:48.

এই মেয়ের নাম নাজমা।

For more infomation >> কাপড় খুলে সেক্স GAME FOR GAME - Duration: 5:48.

-------------------------------------------

সেক্স করলো GAME FOR GAME - Duration: 5:45.

এই মেয়ের নাম নাজমা।

For more infomation >> সেক্স করলো GAME FOR GAME - Duration: 5:45.

-------------------------------------------

colors for children to learn with gohan ssj2 - learn colors for children with son gohan ssj2 - Duration: 1:42.

colors for children to learn with gohan ssj2

For more infomation >> colors for children to learn with gohan ssj2 - learn colors for children with son gohan ssj2 - Duration: 1:42.

-------------------------------------------

Ryanair Brexit warning shows risk of "no deal" for UK travellers - Duration: 0:48.

For more infomation >> Ryanair Brexit warning shows risk of "no deal" for UK travellers - Duration: 0:48.

-------------------------------------------

Equity for employees at UVic - Duration: 6:40.

"Welcome to the Territory" in Lekwungen by Elmer George

We began some time ago with a focus on the four designated groups.

So that includes people of colour, for example,

as well as Indigenous peoples, women, and persons with disabilities.

But now at UVic we're thinking more broadly about inclusion.

So we're thinking about the kind of people who might have invisible differences

but want to be respected and valued for their own identities

and what they bring to their work as employees here at UVic.

In our staff and in our faculty we want to be as inclusive as possible

in terms of who we recruit, in terms of how they feel supported here,

in terms of what they do, and most importantly in terms of the fact that they feel like

they make a difference and a real, honest contribution towards the experience that students have.

That's quite critical to ensure that people feel welcome here;

that they feel that they belong here;

that they see themselves here, so that they're able to do their best learning,

their best teaching, their best research, and their best work.

For me, it's about capacity building and helping people realize their potential through

people around them trying to build their capacity.

But from my perspective, they're doing really well in that area

and I'm proud to be a faculty member here at UVic, in part because of that.

The University of Victoria accepts the brainpower

from many countries.

And it's a haven for many knowledgeable people that want to grow.

Our campus community should be a climate that is welcoming to everyone.

And I think that that's everyone's responsibility,

if we want a campus community that is welcoming and inclusive

we all need to take responsibility to play a role in that.

I see wonderful conversations happening there,

difficult ones, sometimes, that challenge us

to rethink what we mean by equity and diversity.

If you're questioning what equity is about or why it's important,

you have to start with questioning your own position.

Acknowledging your own privilege of, if you are of a dominant group, whether that's Caucasian,

heterosexual, whatever dominant group that you belong to,

to be conscious of that, and to realize that by ignoring equity or feeling like it's something that

you don't need to be involved with, that you're continuing to sort of centre and privilege

your own privilege.

Many of the strategies and the support we offer in HR

are really aimed at retaining people, and

keeping them in the work place.

The stigma of mental disabilities and physical disabilities is being overcome.

People are more likely to step forward and self-identify.

And that's good because then they can be accommodated

and become a productive employee at UVic.

The important part for me, in terms of equity, is voice.

Allowing people to exercise their voice, in a manner that allows us to take the benefit

of their diverse background and diverse experiences,

and weave them into our own.

My relationship with the faculty and staff have been..it's been great.

You know, they allow me to have these conversations with them.

They're trying to listen.

And they are doing that process.

The hardest part is, where do we start?

Where do those conversations start because they start so differently for so many people.

There're so many barriers between us.

But one barrier that doesn't exist here, one of the biggest,

is the barrier to dialogue.

There is none.

We have that dialogue, we're allowed to.

They're allowing those tough conversations to happen.

By bringing in a diversity of perspectives, we make all of our work better.

So we learn from each other

and in an academic environment, you really want to encourage people to express their own perspectives

and to be free to bring the knowledge that they have from their background, whether that

background is a different country or it's a different upbringing or it's a difference

in how they identify themselves.

The other type of diversity is really around ideas.

So the fact that people can have very differing ideas, maybe even conflicting ideas and

conflicting beliefs, and yet still manage to carry out a respectful discourse.

A university is a place of ideas.

And I think that here we do respect that, but not just in the ideas, but in

where those ideas come from.

The people that those ideas come from.

And I think that's just as important as the ideas themselves.

Those different ideas actually make us a much better community

and we enrich each other with our experiences and different voices.

And I kind of feel that we respect those different voices here as well.

I don't feel like we're ticking the box here.

I think that there is a genuine, sincere desire by most to embrace, and those that maybe haven't

realized they want to embrace it yet,

the rest of us are going to work with them to make that happen.

Is the university an equitable place?

Is the university a diverse place?

I'd say no, UVic is not a diverse place.

It is not an equitable place.

But that's okay because it's trying.

It's trying.

And I do believe that one day we will be able to say that.

All members could stand to that,

at this university, one day, to say, we've pushed the envelope, we've created equity,

we've created diversity,

so much so that we don't even have to talk about it.

We don't need a Department of Equity and Diversity.

We've worked towards it.

Every department will be the Department of Equity and Diversity.

You know, our goal as a university is to be a university of choice

for talented people from across Canada and around the world.

How do you do that?

The only way to do that is by creating an environment that is as inclusive

and as welcoming as possible. And that's critical to our success as a university.

The ability to bring people with different experience and different perspectives,

that's what a university is all about. That's how we discover, that's how we learn

and that's how we advance knowledge so it's almost part of the DNA of being a university.

For more infomation >> Equity for employees at UVic - Duration: 6:40.

-------------------------------------------

Funeral arrangements for crash victim - Duration: 0:25.

LIFE JACKETS.

NEW AT NOON... FUNERAL

ARRANGEMENTS ARE ANNOUNCED FOR

A WOMAN KILLED IN A MEMORIAL

DAY WEEKEND CRASH.

ODENVILLE DIED WHEN HER JEEP

HIT THE BACK OF AN 18-WHEELER

ON I-459 NEAR GRANTS MILL ROAD

AND OVERTON ROAD.

VISITATION FOR BUTLER WILL BE

HELD SATURDAY FROM 11 TO 1 AT

MOODY FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.

HER MEMORIAL SERVICE WILL

For more infomation >> Funeral arrangements for crash victim - Duration: 0:25.

-------------------------------------------

Liberty Insurance, Parallel Parking - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 1:35.

For more infomation >> Liberty Insurance, Parallel Parking - Ready For the Real Road - Duration: 1:35.

-------------------------------------------

Forecast Focus for May 30 - Duration: 3:50.

For more infomation >> Forecast Focus for May 30 - Duration: 3:50.

-------------------------------------------

Running After 50: Common Pitfalls for New Runners After 50! - Duration: 7:22.

Today's topic the five most common

pitfalls of new runners and how to avoid

them. thanks so much for tuning into

2nd Act TV I am so happy to welcome

Rashelle Brown back to the program today

Rashelle thanks so much for joining us

again thanks for having ... I'm

really excited because you know as you

know we are about to start the 2nd

act virtual running club and you along

with some other you know friends and

experts that I know have giving us great

advice on how to get started but really

one of the things that and you wrote this in

your in your recent article that I saw

half of all runners who get started

stop within the first year we you

know we don't want to make that mistake

so what are the per your article the

five pitfalls to avoid that new runners

make what's number one ... I think the

biggest one is don't run too far or too

fast when people want to start something

there is high motivation which is great

but sometimes they can get a little bit

carried away so I tell people who are

just starting out really focus on

keeping your run at a conversational

pace and with many many people that

means there's more walking involved than

then there is running and a lot run is

fine if you're burning more calories

than just walking you're building Fitness

quicker than just walking it's not as hard as

it is if you just go out and run you

know even what you most people think of

as a slow jog it's the effort level is

just a little bit too hard and they end

up not liking it ...yeah and then you just you

just start dreading it yeah exactly your

second point is you know

don't make your runs boring how do we

like them boring?

yeah mix it up so I mean it's tuff when I

live in Minnesota and so in the winter time

a lot of times it's no fun to run

outside and so you go to a treadmill but

as often as I can even though I'm a

pretty fair weather runner I try to get

outside even if it's just for a

10-minute run you know on a day when it

happens to be 30 degrees instead of 10

degrees or whatever ...certainly in the

summer people need to get off the treadmill

and get outside

and then spice up your route a little

bit don't just stay in your same

neighborhood you know drive a few

minutes to a park and try to run through

there ...yeah I definitely always said you

know that if you want time to stand

still get on the treadmill

yeah looking at that clock the whole time...

well sometimes you know that's what

you need to do but you know I think that

that is as a great tip is to get out

there because there's so much to see especially here

in California we don't have any excuses

yeah that's very exactly ...which I kind of

brings us to another point is the the

investing in your new sport that's been

a topic of conversation here lately tell

us what you mean by that

yeah I mean it's like anything when you

get started in something and you want to

you want to have the right gear and you

don't necessarily have to spend a lot of

money but you want to have a decent pair

of shoes that fits you well so you

probably want to go to a running store

and try on a few different pairs of

shoes and have a knowledgeable person to

help you find the right fit for you

because you know wrong shoes can lead to

injury certainly doesn't you know they

can be uncomfortable when you're running

and that's not going to be encouraging

and then there are some of the fun

things so you know GPS trackers or

heart rate monitors things that will

help keep you motivated and a lot of

people who enjoy running are really

into data and so though those types of

gizmos really let you track you know

your distance and your pace and your

heart rate they're they're really fun

tools that's kind of a nice little

carrot to have out there like

I'm going to get one of these gizmos

and take my running to the next level ... I

can't even imagine running without my

iPhone and with the apps anymore I don't

know how I ever did it this before

yes yeah and then that's a great action

because everybody's got a phone right so

you can just spend a couple dollars on

app and then that that can help track

track all those things for you as well ...we'll

post some links to some some of the more

favorite popular ones and ...and then

you said and I found this interesting I

could have never heard this but tell

yourself that you're only doing it for

fitness so you really I know you like

the psychological parts of exercise

and staying motivated tell me

what you mean by that

oh I mean Fitness is probably the

top reason to start running and running

it's one of the best exercises you can

do to improve your fitness and burn

calories for weight loss but if that's

the only reason that you're doing it and

you just going out and it's kind of hard

to measure whether you're making any

traction there you know you might start

to feel a little bit better or notice

that the runs are getting easier but I

find that if people have a specific goal

in mind or an event that they signed up

for that's a huge motivator that does so

much more motivating is if I know that

I've got a race in six weeks I'm going

to be out there running three or four

times a week to get ready for it

whereas if I'm just you know kind of

vaguely trying to get in better shape I

might make my runs or I might not it

depends on how motivated I am

some people are aren't into the whole

race scene but it's really easy to

create your own events and like the

2nd Act virtual races

that you're setting up is

the perfect way for people who who want

to have that milestone to hit and that

thing to shoot for without having to

sign up you know for for a local race

and set aside as a whole morning on a

specific day ... no I agree that's a

great way to be part of a community as

you know you know virtual racing are a huge

trend right now in running they're just

it's really kind of fun and you know

gives you something else to to to aspire

to plus we have a really cool

medal ... I saw that .. I'll show it to you

and that brings us to your last and final point is

don't run by yourself or don't always

run by yourself right yeah I'm an

introverted person and so I really enjoy

runs by myself but it's really helpful

when I didn't run like a group for me it

helps a lot to keep the pace

conversational so if you can find a

person whose at your same fitness

level and you both have the same goals

you can help speed each other up or slow

each other down whatever you're kind of

at in your fitness so that's useful

there are tons of running groups that

you can join most of them are free or

they're really low cost you can do a

virtual running group it's just there

lots of ways

to interact with other people and that

kinda just adds that one more layer of

accountability and a little bit more

motivation than if you're always running

by yourself

well Rashelle thank you so much for all

those great tips I think focusing on

what not to do is just as important as

you know what to do so thank you for

that we will link to your article as

well as to your site full steam fitness

and we'll see you soon on another

episode of 2nd Act TV ...thanks so much

So glad you were able to join us today

and I hope that you found today's tips

helpful. Make sure you check out our new

virtual running Club there's a link to

it right here on the screen and make

sure you also subscribe to our program

here's the button!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét